Food companies increasingly show interest to the application of food sensors to the supply, manufacturing and distribution of their products. It is getting of foremost importance for the food companies to demonstrate to the markets the safety and the security of their products or the compliance to specific quality standards. However, the sensors to become successful need to comply with the following requirements of the food industry:
- Real-rime response: ideally few minutes time,
- On-site usage: portable, usable in dirty, dusty or humid manufacturing conditions,
- Easy to use: usable by layman without need of technical preparation of the sample,
- Inexpensive: remember, food industry works on low margins,
- No over-sensitivity: it is enough to comply with the sensitivity requested by the regulations,
- Recognized by national Authorities: the result should be officially recognised (this is a long-term objective).